Sun, Apr 3, 2011
UPDATE: The Rays placed Longoria on the DL Sunday. He’s expected to miss at least three weeks.
Tampa Bay Rays’ third baseman Evan Longoria expects to miss no more than a week after leaving Saturday’s game with a sore left oblique. Manager Joe Maddon, however, has not ruled out a DL stint. Longoria will be reevaluated on Sunday.
In the meantime, Sean Rodriguez will move from second base to third. Ben Zobrist will move from right field to second base, opening up right field for Matt Joyce.
Joyce—a left-handed batter—offers solid pop and a good eye. In 495 career major league at-bats, he’s hit 25 HRs and knocked in 80, but his .240 batting clip is cause for concern. If Longoria is out for less than a week, Joyce probably isn’t worth an add. While his power potential is intriguing, his ineffectiveness against southpaws (career .157 average) suggests he’s probably a platoon player.
Sean Rodriguez, on the other hand, offers decent value in mixed and A.L.-only leagues. Already boasting second and outfield eligibility, the soon-to-be 26-year-old will likely qualify at third base (in Yahoo! leagues) if Longoria is out for five games or more. Despite posing a solid power/speed threat (Bill James projects him to hit 15 HRs and steal 11 bases in just 343 at-bats), Rodriguez is still owned in just 32 percent of Yahoo! leagues. Of course this probably has something to do with his career .233 batting clip.
Manny Ramirez is likely to fill Longoria’s spot as the No. 3 hitter in the Rays’ lineup. Ben Zobrist and Johnny Damon should remain as the No. 1 and 2 hitters, but after that, it’s anyone’s guess as to how Joe Maddon will construct the lineup.
Through two games this season, the Rays have combined for just two runs on eight hits. Longoria is 0-for-5 with two strikeouts and a walk.
Image courtesy of: Chris Creamer, Sportslogos.net
Fantasy Baseball Insiders’ 2011 Big Board:
2011 Position Rankings:
Latest from Fantasy Baseball Insiders:
- Matt Holliday Out Indefinitely: Fantasy Impact
- Panic Over John Axford’s Opening Day Blown Save?
- Opening Day Waiver Wire Fliers
- 2011 All-Breakout Team
2011 Prospect Report:
- Orioles’ Zach Britton to Make MLB Debut
- Prospect Report: Giants’ Brandon Belt Wins Starting Job
- The Top 10 Rookies in 2011
- Keeper Conundrum: Bryce Harper or Mike Trout?
Previous articles from Fantasy Baseball Insiders:
- 2011 Closer’s Corner: 16 MLB Teams Have a New Source for Saves
- 2011 Closer’s Corner: Papelbon, Cordero & Rivera Are the Only Reliable Options
- The Verducci Effect: Why 11 Pitchers 25-and-Younger May Regress
- 2011 MLB Team-By-Team Spring Training Injury Report
- The Sub-2.50 ERA Curse: Why Five Elite Starting Pitchers May Regress in 2011
- 2010 Batting Average on Balls in Play Leaders: What to Expect in 2011?
Tags: Evan Longoria