Our 2011 fantasy baseball projections will be released one-by-one until the top 100 players have been revealed. These rankings consider past achievements, current performance and expected future results based on standard 5×5 H2H settings.
Mike Stanton was widely regarded as the No. 3 prospect in baseball at this time last season, behind Stephen Strasburg and Jason Heyward. Baseball America has noted Stanton’s five-tool package and “light-tower power.”
Stanton has done nothing to suggest otherwise, as he’s produced prolific power numbers over the last three seasons:
- 2008 (A): 39 HRs, 97 RBI, .293 BA
- 2009 (A, AA): 28 HRs, 92 RBI, .255 BA
- 2010: (AA, MLB): 43 HRs, 111 RBI, .278
Twenty-two of Stanton’s home runs in 2010 came with the Marlins in just 359 at-bats, good for an impressive AB/HR of 16.3. To compare, Josh Hamilton (16.18), Ryan Howard (17.74), Prince Fielder (18.06) and Adrian Gonzalez (19.06) were less proficient in the same department last season.
Given a clean bill of health (Stanton has missed the last three weeks with a strained quad muscle), the 21-year-old has a legitimate shot to hit 30 to 35 HRs. He could return to action early this week, but there’s still no guarantee he’ll be ready by Opening Day.
The time missed this spring will likely drop Stanton from fourth in the Marlins’ lineup to fifth or sixth upon his return. An Adum Dunn-like batting average may ensue as he develops, but his prodigious power potential makes him a fantasy asset—especially in keeper and dynasty formats.
|2011 FBI Forecast||615||75||33||90||5||.255|
Image courtesy of: M. Zeising
Fantasy Baseball Insiders’ 2011 Big Board:
- Top 50 Fantasy Baseball Projections
- Nos. 51-60: Jimenez, Verlander, Carpenter or Sabathia?
- Nos. 61-70: Weaver, Haren or Latos?
- Nos. 71-80: Young, McGehee or Ramirez?
- Nos. 81-90: Upton, Young or Werth?
- No. 91: Brian Wilson
- No. 92: Carlos Marmol
- No. 93: Pedro Alvarez
- No. 94: Ben Zobrist
- No. 95: Nick Markakis
- No. 96: Colby Rasums
- No. 97: Curtis Granderson
Latest from Fantasy Baseball Insiders:
- 2011 MLB Team-By-Team Spring Training Injury Report
- Adam Wainwright to Undergo Tommy John Surgery: Updated Pitcher Rankings
- Keeper Conundrum: Bryce Harper or Mike Trout?
30 Teams in 30 Days Fantasy Preview:
MLB Trades: Fantasy Impact:
- Frank Francisco Traded to the Blue Jays, Who Will Be The Team’s Closer?
- Mike Napoli Traded to the Texas Rangers: Fantasy Impact
- Vernon Wells Traded to the Los Angeles Angels: Fantasy Impact
Tags: Mike Stanton