2011 Fantasy Projections, No. 88: Is Arizona Diamondbacks’ Chris Young a Legitimate 30/30 Candidate?
Our 2011 fantasy baseball projections will be released one-by-one until the top 100 players have been revealed. These rankings consider past achievements, current performance and expected future results based on standard 5×5 H2H settings.
Chris Young almost duplicated his near-30/30 2007 campaign last season, hitting 27 HRs while stealing 28 bases. The big difference was in his .257 batting average and 11.1 walk rate (.237, 6.9 in ’07).
In the two seasons in between, Young combined to hit 37 HRs and steal just 25 bases. An improved batting eye has aided Young’s development, but a .268 BABIP in 2009 delayed his breakout season until 2010.
2011 should bring more of the same for the 27-year-old. While his batting average is likely to remain in the .250 range, 25 HRs and 25 steals are well within reach. His run-scoring and run-producing totals will reflect his spot in the Diamondbacks’ lineup.
Manager Kirk Gibson would like for Young to bat in the middle of the order, even though he performed exceptionally well (.289, 12 HRs, 20-for-23 stolen bases) in 287 at-bats as the leadoff or No. 6 hitter last season. His spot in the order will go a long way in determining his true value in 2011.
|2011 FBI Forecast||675||85||26||90||25||.251|
Image courtesy of: Amanda Rykoff
Fantasy Baseball Insiders’ 2011 Big Board:
- Top 50 Fantasy Baseball Projections
- Nos. 51-60: Jimenez, Verlander, Carpenter or Sabathia?
- Nos. 61-70: Weaver, Haren or Latos?
- Nos. 71-80: Young, McGehee or Ramirez?
- No. 81: Yovani Gallardo
- No. 82: Billy Butler
- No. 83: Aaron Hill
- No. 84: Mariano Rivera
- No. 85: Brandon Phillips
- No. 86: B.J. Upton
- No. 87: Mark Reynolds
Latest from Fantasy Baseball Insiders:
- 2011 MLB Team-By-Team Spring Training Injury Report
- Adam Wainwright to Undergo Tommy John Surgery: Updated Pitcher Rankings
- Keeper Conundrum: Bryce Harper or Mike Trout?
30 Teams in 30 Days Fantasy Preview:
MLB Trades: Fantasy Impact:
- Frank Francisco Traded to the Blue Jays, Who Will Be The Team’s Closer?
- Mike Napoli Traded to the Texas Rangers: Fantasy Impact
- Vernon Wells Traded to the Los Angeles Angels: Fantasy Impact
Tags: Chris Young