Our 2011 fantasy baseball projections will be released one-by-one until the top 100 players have been revealed. These rankings consider past achievements, current performance and expected future results based on standard 5×5 H2H settings.
B.J. Upton is perhaps one of the most polarizing players in fantasy baseball. While his power/speed combo is both rare and improving, Upton’s batting average is tough to stomach.
Even still, Upton is one of only two players (Michael Bourn the other) to steal 40 bases in each of the last three seasons. Of the six players who’ve stolen at least 100 bases during that time, only Carl Crawford has hit more HRs (42) than Upton (38).
Furthermore, Upton’s once-thought plus-power has improved over the last three seasons:
- 2008: 9 HRs, .128 ISO power
- 2009: 11 HRs, .132 ISO power
- 2010: 18 HRs, .187 ISO power
Yet despite this development, Upton has sacrificed his contact rate and batting average, leading to eye-popping strikeout totals:
- 2008: 80.5%
- 2009: 76.9%
- 2010: 73.5%
- 2008: .273
- 2009: .241
- 2010: .237
- 2008: 25.2%
- 2009: 27.1%
- 2010: 30.6%
Upton hit first, sixth, seventh and eighth last season as Joe Maddon tried to find the right spot for his center fielder. He’s currently penciled in as the No. 8 hitter this season, although that will surely change as Maddon tinkers with his new-look lineup..
Upton’s value will depend on where he hits, but recent trends suggest he won’t hit for a high average. Expect the 26-year-old to approach 20 HRs and 45 steals to go along with a .250 batting clip in 2011.
|2011 FBI Forecast||620||80||18||70||45||.249|
Image courtesy of: Dennis Adair
Fantasy Baseball Insiders’ 2011 Big Board:
- Top 50 Fantasy Baseball Projections
- Nos. 51-60: Jimenez, Verlander, Carpenter or Sabathia?
- Nos. 61-70: Weaver, Haren or Latos?
- Nos. 71-80: Young, McGehee or Ramirez?
- No. 81: Yovani Gallardo
- No. 82: Billy Butler
- No. 83: Aaron Hill
- No. 84: Mariano Rivera
- No. 85: Brandon Phillips
Latest from Fantasy Baseball Insiders:
- 2011 MLB Team-By-Team Spring Training Injury Report
- Adam Wainwright to Undergo Tommy John Surgery: Updated Pitcher Rankings
- Keeper Conundrum: Bryce Harper or Mike Trout?
30 Teams in 30 Days Fantasy Preview:
MLB Trades: Fantasy Impact:
- Frank Francisco Traded to the Blue Jays, Who Will Be The Team’s Closer?
- Mike Napoli Traded to the Texas Rangers: Fantasy Impact
- Vernon Wells Traded to the Los Angeles Angels: Fantasy Impact
Tags: B.J. Upton